Monday, January 14, 2008

Adding a Workbench

This past weekend my father and I(Danny built a workbench in our garage.

Here is the corner of the garage before adding the workbench. Not a very useful space in its current form!



I got really lucky and this project was not terribly expensive. The pile of wood you see below was sitting out in front of another house in the subdivision with a sign that said FREE. So I went and took most of it (as quickly as possible!). I was able to get lots of 2x6 boards and 2x12 boards. They were very helpful in building a sturdy workbench.



The whole idea for the workbench was in my head for quite some time. When I finally drew it out on paper here is the drawing I came up with.



The first thing we had to build was the overhead storage, which took quite a bit of figuring. The hardest part was figuring out how to secure the front right corner that was floating in the air. In the end we got some angle iron that we ran into the attic and attached to a rafter.





At this point we took a break in the action so I could give you a video update on our progress.



I let dad handle the saw most of the time. He can make precision cuts and make them look perfect.



We then had to move down to building the actual workbench. I wanted to be able to use totes to store stuff in the workbench. So we used 2x12's as dividers between the sections for the totes.



We decided to build the top surface out of 2x12's as well. I was very surprised at how well it worked. With the type of wood we used we have NO worries of it ever moving, in fact if a tornado comes through, I might want to climb under here for protection.



Here is a final video showing how far we got on the project in 2 days.



Hope you have enjoyed watching the workbench half as much as I did building it.

2 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger theroyers said...

boy, i can just feel the father/son love in those videos! :)

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With just a little more wood and a few more nails you could turn your workbench into a new room just for Jim, Danny and the dogs.

Good Job! I am realy into the free wood part.

Uncle Dean and Aunt Marilyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home